[sane-devel] Problem building on OSX

khk@khk.net khk@khk.net
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:06:25 -0400 (EDT)

> On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 22:07, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
[ ... ]
> While I'm here . . .the reason I've been building sane is to do with the
> "less than perfect" support for OSX from scanner manufacturers.
> Searching back through the mailing list archives I saw some comments
> agreeing with that, but nothing much more.  I have sitting next to me an
> Epson USB scanner (Perfection 610) beloning to my in-laws.  Having had
> zero luck with the official Epson driver I'm turning to sane (which I
> also use on my linux box).  However, not being the most technically
> minded, what my Mother-in-law really wants is to be able to drive the
> scanner from inside iPhoto.  Has anyone done work on a sane frontend to
> plug in as a normal OSX scanner input? Given no SANE->TWAIN bridge
> around on OSX I suspect not, or not very far.  But if you don't ask . .
[ ... ]
For now you are stuck with a paper weight... Even with a Sane/TWAIN bridge,
this configuration would not work: So far I had no success in getting the
EPSON backend to actually scan on OS X. The scanner is recognized, and
the initial communication up until the scan request does also work, but
the backend never receives any image data from the scanner.

The only way you can use this scanner under OS X at this time is with
vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com).

Karl Heinz