[sane-devel] FreeBSD and Microtek Scanmaker II

Nakal nakal@web.de
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 15:52:07 +0200

On Saturday 21 June 2003 14:52, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> If I try to use the "ncr" driver instead of "sym", FreeBSD doesn't
> even boot. With a Tekram 315 controller the results are the same as
> above.

ncr driver is old, you should not use it. As far as I know, sym should
support everything which ncr supported earlier.

Compare the manpages sym(4) and ncr(4).

> So your patch is ok but FreeBSD 5.0 is unusable with older Mustek
> scanners on at least these controllers. The scanners work just fine
> on Linux.

Please use 5.1 instead.

> If I remember correctly, the old scanners worked once with FreeBSD.
> So maybe 5.0 has broken the SCSI system?

On 5.1 it's working fine. I can scan for all backends (scanimage -L). On
FreeBSD 4.8 "scanimage -L" is freezing my PC. FreeBSD 5.1 is lots
better, in my opinion. The patch works for both FreeBSD 4.8 (aka
stable) and FreeBSD 5.1 (aka current).

Martin