[sane-devel] FreeBSD and Microtek Scanmaker II

Matto Marjanovic maddog@mir.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:30:07 -0400

 >OK, so we have indeed a flaw in the Linux SCSI system... I assume that
 >the scanners identify themselves as SCSI 1 devices, where these short
 >sense data blocks are normal.

They do identify themselves, as a protocol between SCSI-1 and SCSI-2.
 ("SCSI_1_CCS" in drivers/scsi/scsi.h.  This macro is used nowhere else
 in the Linux SCSI code.)

 >Did you try to issue REQUEST SENSE explicitly from the backend, where
 >this looks reasonable? This may not work with every Linux adapter driver

Hmm, I never thought of that.  (For the longest time, I figured the drivers
 would eventually get fixed; they haven't.)  I'll give it a try.

I don't suppose that a REQUEST SENSE can be issued by the sense handler
 itself?

 >(IIRC, older versions of the aha152x driver did not like user land
 >REQUEST SENSE commands), so it should be possible to turn them off with
 >an option.

Heh --- if it's not one Linux SCSI bug, it is another.

-matt m.