[sane-devel] umax 2200 scsi no go under SuSE-8.2

Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:11:01 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:34:17PM +0200, fsanta wrote:
> Could you tell me how to do that?

To do what? Hint: If you quote the text you are referring to it's
easier to understand what you mean? :-)

I don't have your scanner or your card so I don't have personal
experiences with this combination. But the "synchronous tranfer" SCSI
feature seems to make trouble with many older SCSI scanners. And your
kernel complains about it so it may be worth a try. Check the
documentation in the Linux source code. Which SCSI driver do you use
for the 2904?

> the scsi card is a very basic 2904 which Oliver added to the database
> of usable cards way back years ago. The scsi terminator plug is
> missing on the scanner. Could it have anything to do with that? I
> can't test it as I haven't got an scsi terminator plug.

As I said, I don't have experience with that combination, but my
scanners work without a terminator. At least if you have only one
device on the SCSI bus.

> We removed it
> under 8.1 to produce acceptable scans. It was of very poor quality with.

If adding/removing the terminator changes the quality of the scan
something is completely broken. A wrong termination can lead to SCSI
errors but I haven't heard about an influence on image quality. That
would mean only the data is corrupted, not the commands and the SCSI
system doesn't detect that (parity?).