[sane-devel] Visioneer 5800

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:44:35 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 01:30:22AM +0000, jollyprince@juno.com wrote:
> I'm a newbie who just got his USB printer working and decided to
> tackle the scanner next.  So far I've found the Vendor number and
> Product ID and inserted them into the modules.conf file.

The scanner isn't even in our list of scanners. That usually means it
is not supported by any SANE backend.

Could you please give us any information you have about this scanner?
Especially I'm interested in the output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices"
while the scanner is plugged in.

> QUESTION: Is it a foregone conclusion that I need to recompile the
> kernel next

No. modprobe scanner vendor=... product=... works the same way.
Or just use libusb (without the scanner module). That's not the problem.

If you tell me the vendor and product ids I'll add them to the kernel
scanner driver.

> or is there a scanner install that does not require kernel recompile?

You don't need to recompile the kernel. But even recompilation doesn't
help you because you need a SANE backend for yout scanner. And that's
most probably not written yet. On how to write a backend see:

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/unsupported.html