[sane-devel] HP 7450C USB scanner failure with ADF

Thomas Frayne tomf@sjpc.org
28 Jun 2003 09:00:21 -0700

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 14:11, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

> > Modified /usr/local/etc/sane.d/avision.conf to add usb  0x03f0 0x0801
>
> Ok. Shouldn't be necessary, but shouldn't harm either.
>
> > This made scanimage -L work after rebooting,
>
> Rebooting shouldn't be ever necessary. But if your scanner hangs,
> unplugging it may help.

Next time the scanner hangs, I'll try unplugging without rebooting.  The
procedure that made scanimage -L work was done after unplugging and
before starting xsane, so I think that the avision.conf change really
was necessary.

> > both in root mode and user mode:
> >
> > device `avision:libusb:004:002' is a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 7400c
> > flatbed scanner
>
> Ok.
>
> > I shutdown, powered off the scanner, rebooted, ran xsane,
>
> Make sure that when you run xsane you use the "/dev/usb/scanner0" or
> the "libusb:something" device and not the "/dev/sg0" device. Just to
> be sure that xsane doesn't do anything bad.
>
> > and started a scan.
>
> Try scanning with scanimage and debugging enabled, e.g.
> SANE_DEBUG_AVISION=255 scanimage >image.pnm 2>log

OK. I'll set the debugging mode.  I'll also try with scanimage to see if
I can isolate the problem to xsane.

> > The scanner hung as before, and the following appeared in
> > messages.
> > Jun 26 12:18:37 localhost kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
> > Jun 26 12:18:37 localhost kernel: usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x82 len 1 ret -110
>
> This time you don't have loaded the scanner driver. Did you try with
> the scanner driver instead?

I don't understand your question.  How do I try with the scanner driver?
What is the name of the scanner driver?

> > I tried to change all occurrences of usbdevfs in my /etc (fstab,
>
> That's just the name, it doesn't matter (for now).
>
> > hotplug/usb.rc, mtab, rc.d/rc.sysinit, rc.sysinit) to usbfs, but
> > something went wrong, and my system became unbootable.  I restored my /
> > and /var partitions.
>
> I think you only need to change /etc/fstab.
>
> > Now I am pretty sure that my problem is in usbdevfs, but I don't know
> > how to fix it.
>
> I don't think so. The timeouts occur because the scanner doesn't
> understand something the backend sends. That may be a backend broblem
> or something odd in the USB system.
>
> > What can I try next?
>
> Try the scanner driver. If it shows the same behaviour, you are sure
> that it's not usbfs.
>
> Otherwise, well, wait until the avision maintainer shows up again :-)
>
> Bye,
>   Henning

OK.  Thanks.  I'll try all the suggestions you just made.  Please give
me more information on running the scanner driver, at least enough so I
know what that means, and can look up documentation.

Tom