[sane-devel] Second draft of Scanner HOWTO for TLDP

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:16:41 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 11:54:37AM -0500, Howard Shane wrote:
> So, I guess my question boils down to this: Let's say hypothetically
> we're up to linux-2.6.0, and there is no more kernel usb-scanner
> support, and a person wants to use a SANE application. All they have to
> do is to be sure libusb is installed with the SANE backends and whatever
> frontend they're after, right?

Usually sane-backends depends on libusb, so if SANE is installed,
libusb should also be installed automatically.

> No other configuration steps are necessary? Are there any specific
> pitfalls to to be aware of?

It may be necessary to adjust the permissions of usbdevfs as explained
in man sane-usb. At least if you want to scan as non-root. I don't
know how addvanced the hotplug setup currently is. That's something
hotplug could do.