[sane-devel] root vs. user?

Brad saneuser@sportingwheelies.org.au
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 16:12:58 +1000

Hi Henning.

According to the sane-scsi man page:

When  using  a  SCSI scanner, ensure that the access permission for the
generic SCSI device is set appropriately.  We recommend to add a  group
"scanner"  to  /etc/group  which  contains  all  users that should have
access to the scanner.  The permission of the device should then be set
to  allow  group read and write access.  For example, if the scanner is
at generic SCSI device /dev/sge, then the following two commands  would
set the permission correctly:

              $ chgrp scanner /dev/sge
              $ chmod 660 /dev/sge

I have done all this, but it still can't see the scanner when logged in a=
s the=20
user (username is"scanner").

There is an error in /var/log/messages:
scanner modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81

Regards,
Brad