[sane-devel] New release of the alpha version of hp5400 SANE backend

Martijn van Oosterhout Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 23:19:18 +1100

--uQr8t48UFsdbeI+V

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:57:33AM +0100, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:43:03AM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > 2. Since the intrinsic resolution of the scanner is only 300dpi, for
> > everything higher it needs to move the head from side to side (I don't =
know
> > if this is true, but it makes an odd sound at higher res).
>=20
> I have never even seen a HP scanner but I'm not sure if I an believe
> that the hed moves in x-direction. However, I know about a scanner
> that has 6 ccd lines instead of three and half of these lines were
> shifted by 1/2 pixel. So you would get two lines per color.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

> However, this is a 1200*2400 dpi scanner. Probably 600*2 dpi is
> cheaper than 1200 dpi CCDs. However 600 dpi CCDs are pretty common so
> I'm surprised that there are 300*2 CCDs.

It says on the box it has 2400x2400dpi hardware resolution. Stepping the
motor increases your y resolution but I'm not sure how to increase the x.
Examining the data from the scanner reveals it's still sending three scan
lines (one for R,G and B) but each line consists of (for this scan at least=
):

0x5F0 bytes of normal data
0x50 bytes of zeros
0x1DC2 bytes of what can only be described as rubbish

Probably something wrong with the setup. Need to do a scan in windows. Maybe
later this week.

--=20
> Support bacteria! They're the only culture some people have.

--uQr8t48UFsdbeI+V

--uQr8t48UFsdbeI+V--