[sane-devel] What am I missing?

Sat, 8 Mar 2003 21:39:29 +0100

Hi,

Please send the mail to the list, not to me.

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 08:54:05AM -0600, David Wilson wrote:
> Think I finally have this problem at least cornered.
>
> I compiled the kernel with:
> * Preliminary USB device filesystem
> * OHCI support

Ok. Well, at least if you have a OHCI controller.

> M USB Mass Storage support
> M USB Printer support
> M USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
> M USB Kodak DC-2xx support

These are only necessary if you have such devices.

> M USB Scanner support

Ok.

> Then installed the kernel
> made a new initrd image
> added /usr/local/lib/sane to /etc/ld.so.conf
> ran depmod -a
> ran LILO
>
> rebooted
>
> installed the scanner module (insmod scanner)
>
> At this point running /usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner reports no scanner!

And /proc/bus/usb/devices is empty? I have to admit that I have never
seen this file empty. Only non-existent, if usbcore was not loaded or
devusbfs nor mounted.

> I unplugged the power to the scanner and plugged it back in.
>
> Then the kernel gives me a few complaints about a USB timeout

Not good. Are the cables ok? Do you use an external hub?

> /usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner then reports finding a scanner and
> the scanimage program works.
>
> I tried several of the flavors of the USB driver before one would finally
> show the USB hub in the /proc/bus/usb/devices list.

Well, if you use an OHCI host controller, you need usb-ohci. If you
have UHCI you can try uhci or usb-uhci.

> I wonder if there is something that can be done about having to cycle the
> power to the scanner to get things to initialize properly?

Which kernel version is this? With 2.4.20 I had similar problems with
some scanners. However, the root hub initilized correctly.

> I realize this is probably more of a USB issue than a SANE problem.
> Hope this helps someone else.

You could write to the linux-usb-users mailing list (se
www.linux-usb.org).