[sane-devel] Re: how to scan a multipage document with no adf?

Michael Piotrowski mxp@dynalabs.de
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:17:42 +0100

Ulrich Deiters <ukd@xenon.pc.Uni-Koeln.DE> writes:

> The TIFF standard supports multiple images in one file, but
> a) not every TIFF reader can handle this. First make sure that your
>    image viewer (or that of the mail recipient) can handle multi-image
>    TIFF.
> b) the typical TIFF compression schemes (Packbits, LZW) are good for
>    lineart only. For colour photos you need TIFF JPEG, but again, this
>    cannot be handled by all viewers.
>
> PDF can handle multi-page documents with images, but the compression
> of colour graphics is not always good. See one of the previous discussion
> threads of this forum on how to produce PDFs.

Several TIFF types (including G4 and JPEG) can be "repackaged" as PDF,
since PDF supports the same compression schemes; these PDFs are only
marginally larger than the original multipage TIFFs, and contain the
same image data.  PDFlib <http://pdflib.com/> can do this (for
example); I'm using a (slightly modified) version of the pdfimage
sample application from PDFlib.

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <mxp@dynalabs.de>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>