[sane-devel] Updating sane-backends

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:55:38 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 03:15:52PM -0500, Richard M. Teitel wrote:
> I am in desperate need of advice from people more knowledgable than I
> (which means most, if not all, of you) about the workings of Linux.
>
> I was advised by several people (Henning Meir-Geinitz and Gerhart Jaeger
> in particular) that most of my problems with the UMAX scanner using the
> Plustek backend would be resolved if I upgraded my sane-backends from
> version 1.0.8 to version 1.0.11.

"T. Ribbrock" <emgaron@gmx.net> wrote in the last therad you initiated
that he has made RPMs for Redhat. That would be more clean than to
install from .tar.gz.

> I much appreciate the advice.  So I
> downloaded the sane-backends -1.0.11 tar file and attempted to install
> it.  When I ran ./configure, I got the following warning:
>
> *** WARNING: SANE is already installed (version 1.0.8). The old
> *** installation is at /usr while SANE will now be installed
> *** at /usr/local. It is recommended to uninstall the old SANE version
> *** before installing the new one to avoid problems.

That's a warning, not an error. You can install anyway. scanimage
(from /usr/local/bin) will work but xscanimage/xsane will use your old
SANE installation.

> So I tried to uninstall the old version with
>
> rpm -e sane-backends-1.0.8
>
> and got the following response:
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>        libsane.so.1 is needed by (installed) sane-frontends-1.0.8-4
>        libsane.so.1 is needed by (installed) xsane-0.84-8
>        libsane.so.1 is needed by (installed) xsane-gimp-0.84-8
>        sane-backends = 1.0.8 is needed by (installed)
> sane-frontends-1.0.8-4
>
> (libsane.so.1 is a link to libsane.so.1.0.8, which is in the same directory)
>
> In other words (or so it would appear), I can't install the new files
> until I uninstall the old ones,

No, see above.

> and I can't uninstall the old ones because of the dependencies.

You can force the uninstall. You can also remove the dependencies and
compile them from source.

> Can someone please offer a suggestion?  I would prefer not to have to
> uninstall and reinstall sane-frontends, xsane and gimp in order to
> update the backends files.

That only works if you install from source anyway. rpm igonres
software that was installed from source completely.

> Or better yet, is there a way to upgrade the Plustek driver, without
> disturbing anything else?

The clean way is to install a current sane-backends RPM.

If you don't have one, you could do one of the things I mentioned
above or overwrite the files of your distribution. That's done by
running configure in sane-backends with the arguments --prefix=/usr
--sysconfigdir=/etc. Check configure --help for the meaning.