[sane-devel] Updating sane-backends

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:02:54 +0000

> *** WARNING: SANE is already installed (version 1.0.8). The old
> *** installation is at /usr while SANE will now be installed
> *** at /usr/local. It is recommended to uninstall the old SANE version
> *** before installing the new one to avoid problems.

You can still install yours in /usr/local, but you must be careful
with the frontends -- the ones you currently have from your RPMs will
probably continue using your old SANE backends.

> error: Failed dependencies:
>        libsane.so.1 is needed by (installed) sane-frontends-1.0.8-4
>        libsane.so.1 is needed by (installed) xsane-0.84-8
>        libsane.so.1 is needed by (installed) xsane-gimp-0.84-8
>        sane-backends = 1.0.8 is needed by (installed)
> sane-frontends-1.0.8-4

Uninstall these as well, and install them from source. As far as I
know, xsane-gimp and xsane RPMs are complementary to each other, you
don't need xsane if xsane-gimp works (i.e. if you have GIMP
installed).

After removing these RPMs, you need to compile sane-backends from
source, and install xsane from source as well. If you want to use
xscanimage as well, also install sane-frontends (but it's not required
by xsane or sane-backends).

> Can someone please offer a suggestion?  I would prefer not to have to
> uninstall and reinstall sane-frontends, xsane and gimp in order to
> update the backends files.  Or better yet, is there a way to upgrade the
> Plustek driver, without disturbing anything else?

You don't need to reinstall GIMP. The only thing you might want to do
is to create a symlink from your GIMP plugin directory to the xsane
binary that you installed from source.

Another solution would be saned, that way you could use your existing
RPMs for the frontends and the net backend, and a new SANE in
/usr/local that runs saned, but that's a bit over the top, if you ask
me.

It's easiest to install things from source. RPMs are easy to install,
so why not just remove the abovementioned ones and retry?

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/