[sane-devel] scanner.o modules

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:58:00 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:10:30PM +0100, Lars Täuber wrote:
> Ok, seems I have to live with it, but it's a bad solution for me,
> because I can't switch off my scanner.

Huh? Why? Just switch it off. The scanner module will detect it again
when you power it up again.

> So the module would be loaded on startup. I could compile it into the
> kernel and have the same behaviour.

That's one way to do it. The scanner module, or to be more precise,
the kernel USB system detects plugging in new devices automatically.

If you want to load/unload the scanner module automatically (e.g. on
systems with very little RAM) use the hotplug utilities. Each time a
device is plugged in or powered on/off a hotplug event occurs. The
hotplug scripts then can e.g. do "modprobe scanner" or run arbitrary
programs (like chmod a+r /dev/scanner or even run xsane).