[sane-devel] Affordable film scanner supported by SANE

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:36:02 +0000

> However, there seems to be few in the affordable range (around and
> below) ~<400$ that are supported by SANE. Without knowing about support,
> I had considered the Minolta Dual Scan III. It seems to not be working
> very well, if at all.
> Epson doesn't seem to work very well either. Anyhow, they seem to
> abandon their products (no matter if they provide specifications, right?).

It's long since EPSON abandoned their FS200, but I think there is a
working backend for it, but not within the main SANE source. AFAIK,
Minolta is totally unsupported due to the lack of documentation, so
are all those Jenoptik/Reflecta, Acer/Benq, etc. low-end scanners you
find in every shop today. I'm not sure about Canon. No support for
Polaroid and high-end scanners either (Leaf, Imacon, etc.) There is
support for some old film scanners made by Microtek, but I don't know
the details.

The only current scanner line that has full SANE support is the Nikon
Coolscan range. Get any Coolscan scanner, and it will work (or tell me
if it doesn't and we'll fix it). ICE is still work-in-progress, but it
shouldn't be too hard to work out the algorithms for anyone who has a
weekend free and a fast computer.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net