[sane-devel] Affordable film scanner

Deiters ukd@xenon.pc.Uni-Koeln.DE
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 0:35:44 MET

The Canon FS2710S (an SCSI film scanner) is also working nicely
with SANE, in spite of Canon's non-support attitude (2720 dpi,
3 x 12 bit). As Canon is now marketing the FS4000S (4000 dpi),
you may have a good chance to get the FS2710 cheap.

If you buy a FS4000S, please let us know, so that we can extend
the backend.

A really cheap slide scanner is the HP PhotoSmart. But I do not
recommend it: The mechanism uses rubber rolls to pull the slide
over the CCD slot. I doubt that the rubber will have a long
life time. Furthermore, the HP scanner can only take slides
in thin, glassless frames. If some of your slide are in glass
frames, one of the larger scanners (Canon, Minolta, Nikon) is
indicated.

Regards,

Ulrich Deiters