[sane-devel] Affordable film scanner supported by SANE

Rene Rebe rene.rebe@gmx.net
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:41:14 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

On: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:36:02 +0000,
    Major A <andras@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> =

> > However, there seems to be few in the affordable range (around and =

> > below) ~<400$ that are supported by SANE. Without knowing about sup=
port, =

> > I had considered the Minolta Dual Scan III. It seems to not be work=
ing =

> > very well, if at all.
> > Epson doesn't seem to work very well either. Anyhow, they seem to =

> > abandon their products (no matter if they provide specifications, r=
ight?).
> =

> It's long since EPSON abandoned their FS200, but I think there is a
> working backend for it, but not within the main SANE source. AFAIK,
> Minolta is totally unsupported due to the lack of documentation, so

No. At least the MINOLTA Scan Dual II is supported by the my
SANE/Avision backend:

http://gsmp.tfh-berlin.de/rene/avision/

Although they could support me more. I once phoned MINOLTA Germany -
and the person simple hang up the phone while I spoke ... :-(

> are all those Jenoptik/Reflecta, Acer/Benq, etc. low-end scanners you=

> find in every shop today. I'm not sure about Canon. No support for
> Polaroid and high-end scanners either (Leaf, Imacon, etc.) There is
> support for some old film scanners made by Microtek, but I don't know=

> the details.
> =

> The only current scanner line that has full SANE support is the Nikon=

> Coolscan range. Get any Coolscan scanner, and it will work (or tell m=
> if it doesn't and we'll fix it). ICE is still work-in-progress, but i=
> shouldn't be too hard to work out the algorithms for anyone who has a=

> weekend free and a fast computer.
> =

>   Andras

Have a nice day,