[sane-devel] Problems faxing from a scanner

Richard M. Teitel rich@teitel.net
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:45:44 -0500

I am sending this to several mail lists, since I'm not sure where the
problem is.  I'm looking for more help.

I am running Red Hat 8.0 kernel 2.4.18-14 on a 700MHZ Pentium III.  I
have a Conexant V.90/56k data/fax/voice/speakerphone (rev 08) PCI modem
card, for which I installed
hcfpcimodem-0.99mbsibeta02123100k2.4.18_14-1rh.i686.rpm for the driver.
 I also use a UMAX 3400 scanner on the USB port for which I have
upgraded the sane-backends to version 1.0.11 (from 1.0.8).  I then
installed hylafax-4.1.5-1rh8.i386.rpm for sending faxes from the scanner
thru the modem.  All of this SEEMED to integrate nicely.

The scanning function works far better with the upgraded backend than it
used to, although photos are a little blurry and there is too much red
that is difficult to compensate for.  The copy function works pretty
well, too, although the printer colors are off (from a test page, not
the scanner).  The problem comes when I try to send a fax.

The scanner inputs the page image nicely in B&W, and creates a
"faxproject."  I am then able to input the destination phone number, and
start the send process (using the "send faxproject" button on the Xsane
fax front end).  The system sends the cover page (even though it never
asks for any cover page input), then crashes without sending the scanned
page.  The crash consists of a total lockout of any input devices,
especially the keyboard and mouse.  The cursor stops blinking, the mouse
pointer disappears, and the "Caps Lock" and "Scroll Lock" lights flash.
 No keystrokes have any affect.  The only way I have found to recover is
to press the reset button on the tower, and reboot the system.  When it
has finished booting, my home page is completely fouled up.  The screen
is black, the font is about size 1 (unreadable), the X-windows Gnome
panel is at the top of the screen instead of the bottom.  I have not
been able to recover the preferred setup from this condition.  I reboot
again, then log in as root and establish a new account for myself, into
which I can copy the files I need from the old home directory.

I am hoping that someone can suggest a way to isolate the problem.  Keep
in mind, the only way I have been able to recover from these crashes is
to reboot the OS.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Teitel