[sane-devel] Scanning slides: iscan/Xscan

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
17 Mar 2003 11:40:26 +0900

Ole Jacob Taraldset <ojt@gexcon.com> writes:

> [resolution differences with iscan and xsane]

> Why is this? Is it because iscan contains some modules developed by
> EPSON which is not available to other sane frontends? Would it be
> possible to use this module also for other frontends? Or is there
> something I do wrong?

It could be the closed-source image manipulation module that is used
by iscan.  There also seems to be going on some image manipulation in
the custom backend, but chances are that xsane is using the very same
backend.  You can check that by running xsane with SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=1.
The iscan backend is:

  SANE Epson Backend v1.5.0ek - 2002-12-02

for iscan-1.5.0-6.i386.rpm.  All previous versions should have an "ek"
on their version.

# This will change with the upcoming 1.5.1 where the backend has been
# renamed to epkowa to avoid confusion with the epson backend.

> Also why is the preview so much quicker for iscan than for Xsane. Is
> there some setting that can be changed?

No clue.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2