[sane-devel] Re: Affordable film scanner supported by SANE

James Beard j.beard@lexicon.net
19 Mar 2003 22:03:12 +1100

> > Just an idea -- since this is bound to become an issue with more than
> > just the Coolscan2 backend, how about adding a "preference memory"
> > feature to xsane? You could save multiple sets of settings for the
> > same backend and recall them any time. This way you could set up one
> > for each type of film you are using. We could also add a flag to the
> > options in SANE2 that tells the front-end whether a particular option
> > is specific to the scanner as a whole or just the object to be
> > scanned: xsane would then have a way of saving exposure values but not
> > resolution and bit-depth, for example.
>
> Here is a better idea. How about a SANE front end dedicated to scanning
> slides and negatives. As another idea it could be closely modelled on
> VueScan. At the end of the day that is what is required.

What is the main information that Vuescan uses to allow it to produce
such good results?  I haven't had much of a chance to experiment, but
the most obvious user defined settings were:

1. scanner model
2. film type
3. colour temperature

Would scanner model be used to perform an overall colour correction, and
then the film type considered when removing the orange cast?  How would
each of these contribute to the final result?  Are there any other
important ones that I missed?

Thanks
James