[sane-devel] Re: Affordable film scanner supported by SANE

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:01:32 +0000

> According to various readings, every scanner has a different CLUT[*].
> Every film needs also a different CLUT.
>
> http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000QOR
> http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000E8u

Before we start creating custom LUTs for each scanner-film
combination, I just want to throw in that it would be a better idea to
generate ICC profiles. These are more general than just defining LUTs
for each channel. Many film scanners are supplied with ICC profiles,
but I don't know how good they are.

Maybe it's finally time to add ICC support to a SANE?

Also, every scanner-film combination has a different set of exposure
values (for negative films), maybe it would be a good idea to
incorporate that into the ICC profiles?

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net