[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner no longer finds scanner

Charles Mims chmimsjr@earthlink.net
19 Mar 2003 16:46:06 -0600

I am try  to use a Canon Lide30 scanner(USB) with Linux RH8.0.
Evidently a rebranded Plustek

I first checked with 'lsusb' and the scanner is recognized.

I then loaded the scanner module and then ran 'sane-find-scanner and it
reported the scanner at /dev/usb/scanner0.  However when I started Xsane
it said no scanner device could be found.  Trying to correct this I
edited the plustek.conf file-first making a backup copy..  I put in the
VendorID and the Product ID. However when this still resulted in Xsane
saying no device could be found I reverted to the original plustek.conf.

Things have only become worse. Now when I run 'sane-find-scanner I get
the following message.

'scanner.c: open-scanner(0): unable to access minor data'

I get the same message for all 15 usb scanner devices.  I assumed it
might be a permissions problem but the same message is returned as root.
Can someone tell me what the problem is.