[sane-devel] positive report on Canon N670U; couple of questions

Theodore Kilgore kilgota@banach.math.auburn.edu
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:23:07 -0600 (CST)

I have just upgraded my home machine from Slackware-8.0 to Slackware-9.0,
which contained as a package sane-1.0.11. I installed it and have found
that my Canoscan N670U now seems to work with the software "out of the
box."  Congratulations, all who have been involved in this project!

Question 1: Sorry, just what do I do to make the scanner accessible to
users, not just to root? I should know, but I forget. Do I chmod the
device? Or do I setuid root the executable? Or is there still another way
which works better?

Question 2: This may be off topic, but perhaps someone can point me in the
right direction. I wanted to scan a picture and try to use it for
background in X. Strangely, the preview image shows pretty much the whole
thing, but when I open the picture with gimp I can only see part of the
image. I suspect that I have the whole thing, but I am not sure. Anyway, I
can't see it all after doing the scan, only a small piece of the original.
This could be either a problem with gimp setup or with the scanner setup,
since the last time I tried to use the scanner I wanted to zoom in on a
small piece of the image, for testing purposes. So maybe it needs to be
reset? If so, how?

Historical footnote: The picture is a print from a painting of the
"Seeadler", by a certain Prof. Chr. Rave. The print is autographed by
"Felix Count Luckner" (i.e. Graf Felix von Luckner) and presumably dates
to the lecture tour of the US which he made sometime in the 1920s. I found
the picture abandoned in a house some friends of mine had just moved into,
in Ann Arbor, Michigan, about 1962.

Theodore Kilgore