[sane-devel] scanimage -L doesn't work with a supported scanner

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:01:44 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:17:01PM +0000, Daniela wrote:
> I use SANE for the first time. My scanner (CanoScan N650U) can't be
> detected by any of the utilities except sane-find-scanner.

Please show us the output of sane-find-scanner.

> It is detected at boot time by the OS (FreeBSD 4.9).

You may need libusb. The FreeBSD scanner driver doesn't have the
"extended features" of the Linux kernel (asking for USB ids, control
messages) so libusb may be needed.

> When I set the debug level to 128, this is the output:
> (I also tried it as root, that gives the same results)

Try setting the debug level of the plustek backend:

SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255

To check what's going on with USB, you can also set
SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255.

> I might as well have done something wrong, I went through all documentation I
> could find, but I don't have a clue.
>
> The odd thing is, when I try it as a normal user it always finishes quickly,

Probably because the user doesn't have access to some device files but
root does.

> but as root it took very long time (now it doesn't any more, but I didn't
> change the configuration). When I did a "ps ax" at this moment, I saw that
> the process was in disk wait state.

Maybe it checked some SCSI devices...