[sane-devel] scanimage -L doesn't work with a supported scanner

Daniela dgw@liwest.at
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 06:30:49 +0000

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 19:01, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:17:01PM +0000, Daniela wrote:
> > I use SANE for the first time. My scanner (CanoScan N650U) can't be
> > detected by any of the utilities except sane-find-scanner.
>
> Please show us the output of sane-find-scanner.

 # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
 # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device /dev/uscanner0
 # Your USB scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by
 # `UNKNOWN vendor and product' means that there seems to be a scanner at this
 # device file but the vendor and product ids couldn't be identified.
 # Currently identification only works with Linux versions >= 2.4.8. You may
 # need to configure your backend manually, see the backend's manpage.

 # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be
 # detected by this program.

 # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
 # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
 # necessary.

Again, as root it takes very long time, but produces exactly the same message.

> > It is detected at boot time by the OS (FreeBSD 4.9).
>
> You may need libusb. The FreeBSD scanner driver doesn't have the
> "extended features" of the Linux kernel (asking for USB ids, control
> messages) so libusb may be needed.

It should already be active as I need it for my mouse.

> > When I set the debug level to 128, this is the output:
> > (I also tried it as root, that gives the same results)
>
> Try setting the debug level of the plustek backend:
>
> SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255
>
> To check what's going on with USB, you can also set
> SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=255.

[plustek] usbDev_open(/dev/uscanner,0x04A9-0x2206)
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: trying to open device `/dev/uscanner'
[sanei_usb] sanei_usb_open: can't find device `/dev/uscanner' in list
[plustek] open failed: -1
[plustek] sane_get_devices (0xbfbff2fc, 0)

Here we have the problem, but I have no idea why it failed. There's nothing
wrong with the device /dev/uscanner.