[sane-devel] help with Microtek 9800XL

Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:16:28 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 07:01:02PM +0000, E GCP wrote:
> I have a Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL scanner. I'm trying to make it work with
> Linux. I have RedHat9, sane-backends-1.0.12-4, sane-frontends-1.0.11-3, and
> xsane-0.91-1 installed.  lsmod shows that the  generic SCSI support is
> loaded:
[...]
> I know ScanMaker 9800XL is not on the list of SANE supported scanners, but
> when I type "sane-find-scanner" I get:
[...]
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x05da, product=0x20de) at libusb:002:002

That's expected because sane-find-scanner is intended to find every
scanner, even if it's not supported.

> The scanner is connected to the USB port. I don't have a SCSI card.

The scanner does have both USB and SCSI connectors?

> However, when I try "scanimage -L" I get:
> No scanners were identified.

As it's not supported, that's expected behaviour also.

> I searched the sane-devel list and Google for any information related  to
> this scanner working in Linux and I couldn't find anything relevant.

You could start by providing an output of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices"
when the scanner is plugged in.

> Is it possible to get this scanner working with Linux? If so, any help,
> pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

All the newer Microtek scanners are not supported yet. We don't know
much about the chipsets used by them. So you'd probably have to start
from scratch when writing a backend. Some hints about backend-writing
are on our website, section "contributing".