[sane-devel] SANE, Darwin, Umax Vista-S6E problems

Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:19:04 +0100

Hi,

I'm cc'ing sane-devel because I'm not an UMAX nor MacOS X expert.

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:47:58AM -0800, Randolph Fritz wrote:
> > The umax backend uses fork() to create a reader process in its code. At
> > least with USB scanners, that makes it impossible to access the scanner.
> > Maybe it's the same with SCSI scanners?
> >
> > There is now code for using threads on MacOS X instead (sanei_thread).
> > But the umax backend has not yet been converted to use that code.
> >
> > But I'm not sure if that's really the reason for your problem.
> >

> Hmmmm...ok, then.  How do I find out?  Are there debug options I can turn on?

export SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=255
export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255

So you may at least get more details on where the error occurs. The
problem with fork() on MacOS X with USB scanners is that the child
process doesn't have access to the scanner.