[sane-devel] usb Scanner always busy

Gene Heskett gene.heskett@verizon.net
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:07:52 -0500

On Thursday 06 November 2003 16:20, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:30:13PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I've been unsubscibed for about 90 days, and now of course I'm way
>> behind.  When I got back from temporary duty in Colorado, one of
>> the things I found was that my scanner is always busy.
>
>[...]
>
>> Is this a known recent issue or ??
>
>No. At least I don't know about it.
>
>> I've even rebooted to one of the
>> 2.4.22 kernels that I know worked, and its still busy.
>>
>> How do I go about troubleshooting this?
>
>Start telling us what actually happens :-)
>
>Which scanner do you use? What error message when you do what with
>which program?

Oops, sorry Henning.  The scanner is an Epson Perfection 1250u.
sane-backends is 1.0.11 IIRC.  Present kernel is 2.6.0-test9-mm2.

xsane, when launched, appears to be ok.  But click on get preview, or
just click on the go button, and the return is that its busy, coming
back instantly.

dmesg seems to indicate its found and linked in the normal manner.

But click on get preview gets a message box telling me it failed to
start the scanner, and does it in just a few hundred milliseconds.

>You can enebale debug messages by setting the environment variable
>SANE_DEBUG_BACKENDNAME=255 (BACKENDNAME is the name of the backend
> you use).

I'm not sure which backend is showing, but let me run it...  Plustek
seems to be the choice after it wades past a bunch of bttv stuffs and
the test backends.

Setting the env var doesn't seem to effect things either...