[sane-devel] HP ScanJet 4100C - assertion failed

Yves Martin ymartin59@free.fr
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:22:06 +0100

Selon Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de>:

> >   I'm almost sure APIC is enabled. I have no other USB issue with my
> usb-key
> >   for instance... I have two USB hubs and maybe it depends the plug I
> choosed.
> >   I may work-around the issue unloading the ESSCOM module.
>
> Try without APIC. Isn't it only needed on multi-processor boards?

  Hello Henning and others,

 I'm back again after some weeks. I have more information about my ScanJet
 4100C connected to my HP omnibook xt1000s.

 First, I have succeeded in installing the 4100C driver on my windows XP.
 I have done all the installation process manually (copy files from a old 98),
 apply the HP patch - and the Precision LT tool do not want to work anyway.
 But the copy tool (scanjet -> printer) and the XP scanner wizard are able to
 use the scanner.
 Conclusion: the scanner, the cable and the USB hub are OK.

 Now, on Linux: I have build my kernel many times with different options.

 Finally the USB seems not to work correctly if Local APIC is disabled or
 if ACPI is disabled. In some cases, the bus does not appear in /proc, on
 the bus appears but the USB devices are not detected (scanner, usb storage).

 My config: mandrake 9.1 with a kernel 2.4.21 with patches:
 - ACPI, software suspend (swsusp) with laptop mode, NTFS (ro), supermount

 With that configuration, I have many log in /var/log/messages:
   usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
 when the scanner is detected - because it is not so obvious.

 Have you got any advice ? I think I will try the 2.6 kernel - it should
 manage USB and ACPI better... What do you think ?

 Thank you for your help
--
Yves Martin