[sane-devel] Fujitsu USB timeout issues

Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:53:09 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:48:45PM -0500, m. allan noah wrote:
> I think i might have found something that could fix the timeout issues,
> though i am hard-pressed to believe it is the best solution. It seems that
> the USB Fujitsu models we support will fail to function on subsequent
> requests, if the current scan does not use an EVEN number of commands
> before sane_close().

I have seen a similar bug with the mustek_usb backend. I'll try to
describe what's happening there:

What you see is that everytime a reset is sent to the USB device, they
should reset their toggle (=DATA0). The Linux (and other OS) drivers
set their toggle to DATA0 also. Well, those devices (e.g. Mustek
SCanEpxress 600 CU) don't do that. So if the toggle is not already on
data0, the device just times out.

With the kernel scanner driver a reset is only sent when the device is
plugged in (or the driver is loaded). So it ususally doesn't occur in
normal use. Only if you unload the scanner module and reload it it
happens. With libusb the reset is done after every open (?), so you
can only open the scanner once and then have to replug it.

That's a hardware bug in the Mustek chipset (in my opinion). It also
happens on Windows when the device is (by software) "replugged".

I'm not sure if it's the same problem. Counting the packets sounds
like a cool hack. I'll check if that's possible for the mustek_pp
backend, too. However, at least the scanner module splits bigger
packets into smaller ones, so the count may not be correct in that
case.