[sane-devel] UMAX 1220S Fails to scan

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere@teaser.fr
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:57:50 +0100

On sam, 2003-11-15 at 18:21, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:51:28PM -0600, bbeal wrote:
> > We have just upgraded from Win98 to Mandrake 9.1 on our computer that
> > has a scanner attached to it.  The pertinent hardware is as follows:
> >
> > AMD K6-2 350 MHz
> > Epox 51 MVP3E motherboard
> > SIIG Fast SCSI Pro (AEC6712S without bios)(atp870u driver - module)
> > UMAX 1220S with original cable
>
> Does it work in this configuration with a different operating system
> (e.g. Windows)?

I have the same problem in a totally different setup [1], and when I
reboot under the other GUI (MacOS 9 in that case), with original driver,
it works.
See my 1.5 yr old posts :-/

> Looks like either SCSI hardware trouble (termination, bad cable?) or a
> driver bug in the atp870u module for me. You could try to test with a
> different SCSI controller to find out if it's a SCSI problem.
>
> Which kernel version do you use? Maybe it's fixed in a later version
> if it's really a kernel bug?
>
> If you haven't got provate email until now, you can also try to
> contact the maintainer of the umax backend directly: Oliver Rauch
> <Oliver.Rauch@Rauch-domain.de>.

For my problem he did not have a clue and I haven't had the time to
really dig into this (as I have never programmed SCSI before).

I hope you have better luck.

And my Nikon CoolScan III do works perfectly.

Hub
[1]
PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro 240
AHA-2930B
(but connected to on-board SCSI)
Linux 2.2.20
UMAX 1220S
--
"<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping,
it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it