[sane-devel] Plustek OpticPro 1212U / HP ScanJet 4200C

Jaeger, Gerhard gerhard@gjaeger.de
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:01:38 +0100

Hi,

On Dienstag, 25. November 2003 14:00, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Plustek OpticPro 1212U is currently not supported by SANE. :(

yes, that's true ;-)

> However, by the looks of the chip numbers, it seems that this scanner
> uses a parallel port chip (ASIC 98003) coupled to an USB-to-parallel
> chip (unidentified so far -- I do not have the scanner handy :( but I
> have all chip numbers available :) ).

The ASIC is from Plustek and has been introduced in the PT12 parallel-port
model, also some Genius Scanner...
The bridge is GeneSys Logic GL640  chip.

Code for the parallel-port ASIC 98003 can be found in the plustek_pp
backend. I also started in experimenting with this code and the GL640
but I'm currently only able to read some registers and to switch the light.
Reading and writing data is currently not possible. I first have to track
down the USB logs...

> So I figured I'd give a try at glueing a backend for it.

Okay, go on with that - my code here is called u12, and therefore
the backend will be called u12...

> Anyone could give me generic directions on getting started with this
> task?

Well, probably we should share the code I started with...
I'll try and setup some info on the plustek-backend download site
at www.gjaeger.de - I'll keep you informed on that. In the meantime,
you should check the general SANE-docs for information 'bout writing
backends...

> I've seen there is another scanner with the same structure, the HP
> Scanjet 4200c; anyone here who helped develop it?

What do you mean - same structure? Do you think this HP scanner
also includes the P98003? I don't think so. AFAIK, the Plustek U12
(the early series) and a Genius are using the same HW.

Ciao,
  Gerhard