[sane-devel] Re: Nikon Coolscan II and SANE

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:04:59 +0000

Richard,

I've also sent this reply to the SANE list for the archives, hope you
don't have a problem with that...

> I don't know whether these problems are from hardware or software, or,
> if they are software, whether I should try to pursue with the coolscan
> backend or work on modifying the coolscan2 backend. I'd be grateful for
> any guidance you can give me; in particular, how much work you think
> would be involved in adding support for my scanner to the coolscan2
> backend, and any source of specifications which would help me to do this.

LS-20 documentation is not available from Nikon. In fact, LS-30
support in coolscan2 was done without documentation, by experimenting
on the basis of the specs for the LS-4000.

I have no idea how different the instruction set of the LS-20 is from
that of the LS-30, but it could be significant (I know the LS-1000 is
rather different from later models). If I have some time next year,
I'll look at the coolscan backend and check the code for the different
scanners, maybe I can incorporate support into coolscan2 easily.

For the time being, it's probably a lot easier if you try and fix
coolscan, since it already has working support.

In either case, the coolscan backend in its current form has to go
sooner or later because it's broken and unmaintained. Whether it's
worth fixing or the earlier models should be added to coolscan2 is yet
to be seen.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net