[sane-devel] [SANE2 proposal] Error handling

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:36:42 +0000

> > Also, the entire thing must be network-transparent -- any such
> > dramatic change to the standard would require a change in the network
> > protocol as well, and a char* just complicates things.
>
> If we're to change the standard, we can change the network protocol
> too, and even more if we want a complete, secure rewrite of saned...

It has nothing to do with the protocol itself whether or not saned is
secure. If it isn't, why not rewrite it right away?

> Maybe, but at least it's still a simple, basic data type, and given
> the way SANE status codes are defined, 16 bits are more than enough
> for now.

This sounds like Bill Gates to me.

> That's another way, but it looks like a kludge to me as options aren't
> designed to report errors :)

They are designed to do a lot of things, and clarifying (not
reporting) errors would just be one more.

I don't understand why things have to be overcomplicated when there's
such a simple solution.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net