[sane-devel] [SANE2 proposal] Error handling

Julien BLACHE jb@jblache.org
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:47:03 +0100

Major A <andras@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

Hi,

>> If we're to change the standard, we can change the network protocol
>> too, and even more if we want a complete, secure rewrite of saned...
>
> It has nothing to do with the protocol itself whether or not saned is
> secure. If it isn't, why not rewrite it right away?

The idea was that during the saned rewrite (given it happens someday)
we might want to modify the protocol for some reason, so that wouldn't
be a big deal anyway.

>> Maybe, but at least it's still a simple, basic data type, and given
>> the way SANE status codes are defined, 16 bits are more than enough
>> for now.
>
> This sounds like Bill Gates to me.

OK point taken :-)

>> That's another way, but it looks like a kludge to me as options aren't
>> designed to report errors :)
>
> They are designed to do a lot of things, and clarifying (not
> reporting) errors would just be one more.

I still think it's not the proper solution, and that options should
remain just that.

> I don't understand why things have to be overcomplicated when there's
> such a simple solution.

I'm all for a simple solution :-) I'm not trying to push my ideas, but
rather to start the discussion so we can find a simple solution that
does the job :)

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>