[sane-devel] pthread support and MacOS X

Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:17:07 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 08:28:22AM +0200, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> Any other comments? I mean we can also decide to skip this pthread stuff
> completely!

I think it's good to have it, at least for MacOS X. The ideal way
would be to have not #ifdefs in the backends for threads/forks at all.
We don't need to convert all the backends to sanei_thread_*, I guess
just the newer and more commonly used ones is enough.

By the way: what about Windows? Does fork work there?

> > There are other compilation/linking problems on other platforms but
> > they may not be related to pthread. I'll look later.
>
> Please keep me/us informed...

Looks like a local problem on the test platform. So I think it's only
the "pthread.h is there but no -lpthread" problem. You'll get an error
like "no port of getenv()" in this case because the test for getenv()
fails because -lpthread doesn't work. Quite confusing if you don't
know what to look for :-)