[sane-devel] xscanimage - side-by-side dialog

Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:19:08 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 12:36:13PM -0800, Alex Perry wrote:
> I'm using a scanner with enough options that the window is twice as tall
> as my screen when the advanced panel is enabled.  Since I'm using some of
> the advanced options, and the scan button is at the bottom while the file
> name is at the top of the window, I've put the two panels side by side.

Well, that's really backends-dependant. E.g. With the test backend
there are no adavanced option at all so I thought that something
was wrong with your "patch" at first.

> I've put the trivial change below in case anyone else has need of it.
> I'm wondering whether the options feature creep on the scanners will
> continue to stay ahead of available screen resolution on monitors ?

Well, sane-frontends 1.0.11 comes with sliders for the options so I
don't think it's such a big problem. But maybe my backends just don't
have enough options :-)

> It might be a good idea to have a menu item that switches between the
> normal vbox and this alternative hbox arrangement as a standard feature.

If you make that an option for the preferences menu, send a patch to
the bug tracking system, please.

Maybe it would also make sense to place the filename box and the scan
buttons at the top (or bottom). Maybe even in the same line? We don't
need such huge buttons anyway I guess.