[sane-devel] Mac OS X - xsane and Microtek Scanmaker II

Guy Brooker guy_brooker@mac.com
Tue Sep 2 07:44:06 BST 2003

On 1/9/03 11:04 pm, "David B Brown" <david_b_brown@mac.com> wrote:

> Guy,
>
> I removed the current installation using fink remove
>
> I downloaded the src from     ftp://ftp.mostang.com/pub/sane/
>
> I put it into /sw/src/sane-backends-1.0.12
>
> I patched it using patch sanei_scsi.c sane-backends-1.0.12-osx.patch
>
> I checked the patch worked using grep
>
> I did
>
> ./configure --perfix =sw
> make
> make install
>
> everything seemed to go ok. But I must have got something wrong,
> because now when I run
>
> sh-2.05a# SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=6 scanimage -L
>
> I get
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>

> if I do sh-2.05a# scanimage --version
>
> I get scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.12; backend version 1.0.12
>

> What have I done wrong ?
>
> Cheers
>
> David

scanimage probably can't find the config files that's all. Put a copy of
dll.conf and your microtek[2].conf file in the current working directory for
now, to test it.

A couple of notes, the arguments to configure should be --prefix=/sw

The other thing is, it looks like you're building and running sane as root.
One really ought to avoid using root for anything other than for the real
essential activities. One slip of the keyboard and you could do nasty things
to your machine...

I'll let you know once I've been able to sort out the issue that abel has
mentioned - it could be the cause of the problems you've seen...

Cheers,
Guy