[sane-devel] UMAX 1200S on NetBSD

Greg Troxel gdt@ir.bbn.com
10 Sep 2003 08:18:54 -0400

I have been using sane on FreeBSD for a long time.

I converted my machine to NetBSD, and was unable to find the scanner,
even when doing 'xscanimage /dev/ss0'

When I made a link from /dev/scanner to /dev/ss0, all was ok.  So
while I am now functional, it seems that xscanimage cannot really cope
with being given the device name on the command line.

gory details if anyone cares:

I installed sane from NetBSD pkgsrc:

sane-backends-1.0.12 API for access to scanners, digitals camera, frame grabbers etc.
sane-frontends-1.0.11nb1 Frontends for access to scanners, digitals camera, frame grabbers etc

I have an Adaptec 2940 controller and a UMAX 1200S SCSI scanner.

ahc0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0
ahc0: interrupting at irq 10
ahc0: aic7860 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/255 SCBs
scsibus0 at ahc0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target

ss0 at scsibus0 target 5 lun 0: <UMAX, Astra 1200S, V2.9> SCSI2 6/scanner fixed
ss0: async, 8-bit transfers

sane-find-scanner seems to work.

 > sane-find-scanner

found SCSI scanner "UMAX Astra 1200S V2.9" at /dev/ss0
  # Your SCSI scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by SANE. Try
  # scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a driver for your USB host controller and have installed a
  # kernel scanner module.

  # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be
  # detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

But:

 > scanimage -L

I did try putting /dev/ss0 in /usr/pkg/etc/sane.d/pint.conf, after
reading sane-pint.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>