[sane-devel] Minimum hardware for scanner server?

Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:58:01 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:39:20AM +0200, emgaron@gmx.net wrote:
> I have a PC104 card lying around which I'd like to use as a
> scanner server (pretty much like printer servers). It has an AMD 486
> clone with 133MHz (PR133?) and 64MB. As it only has an ISA connector,
> I'll combine it with an ISA 10baseT NIC and an ISA SCSI card (for my
> Umax Powerlook 2000). From what I could gather from the archives, this
> little machine should up to the task (though I'm a bit worried about
> the 10Mbit connection), but it would be nice to hear some experiences
> with saned on small machines.

I had been running a Mustek SCSI scanner on a 486-66 without any
problems. However, that scanner wasn't really fast so neither network
bandwidth nor the speed of the processor was critical.

If your scanner is low-level, i.e. most of the work is done by the
processor and not the scanner itsself, the processor might slow down
the scan.