[sane-devel] UMAX 1200S on NetBSD

Greg Troxel gdt@ir.bbn.com
12 Sep 2003 09:10:58 -0400

I can certainly accept that I did things wrong.  But given that I'm a
long time sane user, I'd say this is an indication that things are too
hard.

It is pretty counterintuitive to me that device on the command line is
not simply a pathname to a device special file.

Once I put in the /dev/scanner link, xscanimage worked fine.  Clearly
then, I did not have to tell xscanimage that my scanner was a umax.
So perhaps there should be an OS-dependent notion of a list of default
files to check for (SCSI and usb scanners, or pass/ugen things that
probe as scanners).

Basically, I think it comes down to that if sane-find-scanners can find
the scanner, then xscanimage and scanimage should find them as well
when started with no arguments.
(Or perhaps sane-find-scanners should record them in ~/.sane or
something.)

I'm not trying to complain - I'm posting in the hope that small
changes (that I don't know how to make since I haven't looked at the
code in several years) might make it easier for future users.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>