[sane-devel] UMAX 1200S on NetBSD

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:18:23 +0200

Greg Troxel wrote:

> I can certainly accept that I did things wrong.  But given that I'm a
> long time sane user, I'd say this is an indication that things are too
> hard.
>
> It is pretty counterintuitive to me that device on the command line is
> not simply a pathname to a device special file.

Yes, it is a bit counterintuitive if you compare it with other device
names. But the format of an xscanimage device name is mentioned in the
man page.

> Once I put in the /dev/scanner link, xscanimage worked fine.  Clearly
> then, I did not have to tell xscanimage that my scanner was a umax.

You can define device file names in most backend config files, and most
if not all SCSI backends try to open /dev/scanner.

> So perhaps there should be an OS-dependent notion of a list of default
> files to check for (SCSI and usb scanners, or pass/ugen things that
> probe as scanners).

Well, there is something like that: the function
sanei_scsi_find_devices. But it seems that nobody bothered yet to write
an implementation of this function for NetBSD.

> Basically, I think it comes down to that if sane-find-scanners can find
> the scanner, then xscanimage and scanimage should find them as well
> when started with no arguments.
>
> (Or perhaps sane-find-scanners should record them in ~/.sane or
> something.)
>
> I'm not trying to complain - I'm posting in the hope that small
> changes (that I don't know how to make since I haven't looked at the
> code in several years) might make it easier for future users.

You're welcome to write sanei_scsi_find_devices for NetBSD ;)

Abel