[sane-devel] Mandrake 9.1 and ServeRAID 5i

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:20:12 +0200

Raf Schietekat schrieb:
> abel deuring wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> So it seems that neither the RAID controller nor its Linux driver nor
>> sane-find-scanner is buggy.
>> [...]
>

> It's ridiculous. Maybe I should become a psychiatrist, because people
> are more predictable.

;)

> I've now done "perl -d `which scannerdrake`", and
> no failure occurred. Then I tried without -d. Then I tried harddrake2,
> and drakconf, several times. No failure. The only strange thing that
> remains is that, across reboots (I'm just trying anything at this
> stage), the list of Scanner devices in harddrake2 (part of drakconf) is
> either the 4 mentioned before, or just the two called SERVERAID, which
> does seem rather suspicious, but probably no immediate cause for alarm.
> Yet, before the reinstallation (could that be it?), one failure occurred
> right after using harddrake2, one was seemingly provoked by
> scannerdrake, and then there's also the bug report I found.
>
> Let's look one last time. drakconf>Hardware>Hardware List. A window
> "Please wait/Detection in progress" appears. It seems to take a *very*
> long time. I go check the server. Two of three drives have their
> "defunct" indicator LEDs lit...
>
> But that's enough for today. Next thing is probably installation of Red
> Hat, or Turbo Linux, or SuSE, because IBM won't support Mandrake.

Yes, tracing the bug could take quite some time, and I presume that you
need to get your server installed and running. While I would really like
to know, why and how the RAID array is messed up, this job must probably
be left to Mandrake and/or IBM -- most people don't have a RAID
controller and SCSI disks lying around in a junk box.

Abel