[sane-devel] epson es-600c parrallel configuration

Phil Wirtz wirser@aiagrp.net
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:17:41 -0500

 Hi , I am setting up an epson es-600c parrallel scanner with
sane-backends-1.0.12, sane-frontends-1.0.11 on RH 7.3 os compiled with
gcc3. I have it working as root and now need to get it working as user,
per FAQ I need to suid something but it does not say what part of sane
needs to be suided .  Looking through mailing list I found a possible
solution :
 chown root xscanimage xsane scanimage
chmod 4755 xscanimage xsane scanimage

... of course you have to provide the correct paths for the
three programs.

I tried this (without xsane) with the following results
  scanimage- now works in normal user account
xscanimage- will not work in normal user account with the following msgs

  [none@localhost none]$ xscanimage

Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
program instead. For further details, see:

    http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html

Refusing to initialize GTK+.

I restored original permisions ( chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/xscanimage)
and ran with the following results

  [none@localhost none]$ xscanimage
[epson] Cannot open 0x278 as a parallel-port device: Invalid argument
[xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
          different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
          detected by sane-find-scanner (if appropriate). Please read
          the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
          manpages).

My scanner is at 0x278 which I set in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf
as follows
# epson.conf
#
# here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
#
# SCSI scanner:
#scsi EPSON
#
# Parallel port scanner:
pio 0x278
#pio 0x378
#pio 0x3BC
#
# USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could
#               otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
#               recognized.
#        Depending on your distribution, you may need either the
#        first or the second entry.
#usb /dev/usbscanner0
#usb /dev/usb/scanner0

scanimage has no problen as shown below

[none@localhost none]$ scanimage -L -d epson
device `epson:0x278' is a Epson  flatbed scanner

which works fine
What do I have to do to get this working now and xsane working in the future