[sane-devel] (No Subject)

Barton Bosch barton_bosch@eudoramail.com
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:39:54 -0700

I am using  a new Planet CCRMA installation of Red Hat
8.0 and I am trying to get my scanner up and running, but sane is not recognizing it.   I've never had the all of the bugs ironed out of this set up, but on a
prior installation of a vanilla distribution of Red Hat 8.0 I did have this scanner installed, recognized by sane, and managed to scan one document, so I know that it is possible for this hardware to function under Linux.

System details are:  UMAX Vista-S6E scsi scanner,
TMC-36C70 Future Domain scsi controller (both of which
 are supported under linux/sane),  Red Hat 8.0 with the 2.4.18-14 kernel, sane 1.0.8-5 backends and
 1.0.8-4 frontends.

After trying to fire up xsane from the start menu, I
got the user agreement, then xsane started searching for scanners but returned an error message of:   "no devices available".

I started reading the man pages, the scanner howto and
the sane web site and came up with a  couple of leads to follow.

In trying to track down the location of the scsi
device I looked in dmesg and found:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: ATAPI     Model: CD-RW 48X24       Rev: C.FZ
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:10.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:07.2
scsi1: <fdomain> No BIOS; using scsi id 7
scsi1: <fdomain> TMC-36C70 (PCI bus) chip at 0x1030 irq 9

scsi1 : Future Domain 16-bit SCSI Driver Version 5.50
  Vendor: UMAX      Model: Vista-S6E         Rev: V1.6
  Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi : 1 host left.
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:10.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:07.2
scsi1: <fdomain> No BIOS; using scsi id 7
scsi1: <fdomain> TMC-36C70 (PCI bus) chip at 0x1030 irq 9
scsi1 : Future Domain 16-bit SCSI Driver Version 5.50
  Vendor: UMAX      Model: Vista-S6E         Rev: V1.6
  Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi : 1 host left.
ohci1394: pci_module_init failed
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

None of this is crystal clear to me, but two lines stick out.  The first is the "parport0:  PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TIRSTATE,EPP]."  It's a scsi scanner, not a parallel port scanner, so why the parport line?  Second is the, "ohci1394:  pci_module_init failed," line.  I don't know if this is important or not, but might there be a necessary module that is not initializing?

Checking further, I found that /dev/scanner was a link to /dev/sgb, and /dev/sgb was a link to /sg1 (not /dev/sg1).  I tried changing /dev/sgb into a symlink to /dev/sg1, but xsane still pops up a dialog box with "xsane:  no devices available".

All the other /dev/sg* files had permissions of 660 but my original /dev/sg1 had permissions of 600, which I changed to 660.

Running "sane-find scanner -v" doesn't find any scanners either.  The scsi portion of its output is as follows:

sane-find-scanner: searching for SCSI scanners:
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/scanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg0... failed to open (Invalid argument)
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg1... failed to open (Invalid argument)
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg2... failed to open (Invalid argument)
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg3... failed to open (Invalid argument)

and so on through the rest of the /dev/sg* files.

So at this point I am pretty stumped as to how to get sane/xsane to recognize my scanner.  Does anybody have any solutions?  Any pointers to relevant documentationt that I might have missed?

Thanks,

Barton

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com