[sane-devel] (No Subject)

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:58:40 +0200

Barton Bosch schrieb:
> I am using  a new Planet CCRMA installation of Red Hat
> 8.0 and I am trying to get my scanner up and running, but sane is not recognizing it.   I've never had the all of the bugs ironed out of this set up, but on a
> prior installation of a vanilla distribution of Red Hat 8.0 I did have this scanner installed, recognized by sane, and managed to scan one document, so I know that it is possible for this hardware to function under Linux.

[...]

> scsi1 : Future Domain 16-bit SCSI Driver Version 5.50
>   Vendor: UMAX      Model: Vista-S6E         Rev: V1.6
>   Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02

the SCSI system detects the scanner.

> scsi : 1 host left.
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]

this looks indeed a bit strange, but there are some ways to parallelize
the init scripts; perhaps RH 8 uses such a technique.

> ohci1394: pci_module_init failed

That's related to Firewire stuff; it probably does affects ypur scanner
problem.

> None of this is crystal clear to me, but two lines stick out.  The first is the "parport0:  PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TIRSTATE,EPP]."
  It's a scsi scanner, not a parallel port scanner, so why the parport line?

see above

> Second is the, "ohci1394:  pci_module_init failed," line.  I don't know if this is important or not, but might there be a necessary module that is not initializing?

see above

> Checking further, I found that /dev/scanner was a link to /dev/sgb, and /dev/sgb was  a link to /sg1 (not /dev/sg1).  I tried changing /dev/sgb into a
symlink to /dev/sg1, but xsane still pops up a dialog box with "xsane:
no devices available".

If /dev/sgb pointed to /sg1, that was indeed an error.

> All the other /dev/sg* files had permissions of 660 but my original /dev/sg1 had permissions of 600, which I changed to 660.

Don't forget to look, which group is set for /dev/sg1. Generally,
ordinary users don't belong to the group assigned to SG device files.

> Running "sane-find scanner -v" doesn't find any scanners either.  The scsi portion of its output is as follows:
>
> sane-find-scanner: searching for SCSI scanners:
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/scanner... failed to open (Invalid argument)
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg0... failed to open (Invalid argument)
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg1... failed to open (Invalid argument)
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg2... failed to open (Invalid argument)
> sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/sg3... failed to open (Invalid argument)
>
> and so on through the rest of the /dev/sg* files.

A possible reason is that the sg module is not loaded. Try a "modprobe sg"

Abel