[sane-devel] Which scanner for doing good OCR under Linux ?

Felix E. Klee felix.klee.sane@gmx.net
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:49:20 +0200

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:36:51 +0200 S=E9bastien Hinderer wrote:
> Concerning the speed of the scanner: which are the fastest scanners ?=20

The Bookeye is quite fast when compared to most flatbed scanners. After=20
all, one of its purposes is high volume scanning of books.

> Is
> there a risk that speed leads to a lost in quality of the scanned image ?

Often, scanning speed is specified in milli seconds per line. Sometimes
scanning speed also depends on the color depth. Using this information you=
=20
can calculate the time it takes to scan one page. For example, scanning an=
=20
A4 page for OCR (300 dpi with one bit color depth) at a scanning speed of=20
3 milliseconds/line takes=20
    11.7 inch * 300 lines/inch * 3 milliseconds/line =3D 10.5 seconds.
As for the quality: Obviously, scanning at lower resolutions and, thus,=20
lower quality is usually quicker. Other than that I doubt that scanning at
high speeds leads to a decrease in quality.

Felix

PS: To contact me off list don't reply but send mail to "felix.klee" at
the domain "inka.de". Otherwise your email to me might get automatically
deleted!