[sane-devel] Adding hotplug scripts to CVS

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 12:47:55 +0900

A "slightly" belated follow-up

Julien BLACHE <jb@jblache.org> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf@epkowa.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> Let's say I've added an entry to libsane.usermap for the EPSON Stylus
>> CX5200 and blacklisted it.  I plug it in and the "device node" access
>> permissions are set to 0660 and ownership to root.scanner.  Fine if I
>> just want to scan, but how do I print now?
>
> All-in-one devices should be seen as 2 separate USB devices. If it's
> not the case, then it's poorly designed...
>
> IMHO :)

Mind telling the EPSON engineers for me ;-)

I just checked with a Stylus Photo RX500.  Here's the output of lsusb
(with only this USB device attached) on Debian testing/unstable.

  olaf@zen:~$ lsusb
  Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
  Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b8:0807 Seiko Epson Corp.
  Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
  Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
  Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
  olaf@zen:~$

> Another solution is to have the device owned by saned:<printer group>
> and use saned to access the scanner.

I guess you could also flip the ownership and use something like
lp:scanner if that would be more appropriate.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, PF1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/