[sane-devel] Need recomendation linux/sane compat scanner w/ fast 2bit/greys

m. allan noah anoah@pfeiffer.edu
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:03:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> "m. allan noah" wrote:
> > the 4120/4220 on the other hand, are absolutely wonderful, heavy, small,
> > welbuilt machines, with excellent paper feeds, even for heavy stock. we
> > now have quite a few of them in the field, each scanning a few hundred
> > sheets per day, and are quite happy with the performance. they are a bit
> > above consumer level, at ~900 bucks a pop.
>
> Taking a closer look at the 4120C, and with your helpful clue about the
> estimated MSRP, that model looks like a good bet. The 4220C is odd-looking,
> almost like two complete scanners sharing only electronics. I imagine that
> one's much more than $900?

yeah, we dont use them, too much space, dont need the flatbed.

> A few questions:
> - The hardware JPEG can be disabled, right? Since I'm only looking to save
> 1-bit and greyscale PNG's, I wouldn't want to introduce JPEG waviness into
> those formats.

yes, sane does not use the jpeg capabilities.

> - Is USB 1.1 interface working in the current or near-term sane driver, and is
> USB 1.1 fast enough to push the images across at 25ppm 200dpi? Is that speed
> dependent on JPEG-compressed images?

with scsi you can get that speed on non-jpeg images at 200dpi binary. with
usb 1.1, you will get about 20 ppm. slower with grayscal or higher res. i
have not tried to use the fax g4-style compression on binary images, but
that would speed things up a bit on 1 bit mode. usb works ok in sane,
there are some minor issues with duplex or backside scanning.

> - The rated 200dpi 25ppm speed sounds great. What can I expect at 300dpi
> greyscale over USB?

15 ppm tops. 12 more likely. you are talking about more than double the
data over 200dpi gray. the scanner motor will likely pause during each
sheet for the usb to catch up. but, this thing has got 16 megs of ram in
it, so it can buffer a good bit of data.

allan