[sane-devel] Re: sane-devel digest, Vol 1 #266 - 5 msgs

abel deuring adeuring@gmx.net
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 23:41:24 +0200

Pramathesh Ambasta schrieb:
> Thanks for your response.
> Yes the sg driver is loaded. sane-find-scanner reports no scanner is
> found whether run as root or as ordinary user.
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi reports only the Samsung CD-RW drive attached to the
> system.
> When scannerdrake searches for a scanner, the scanner makes some noise,
> it seems like its lamp is moving - but nothing happens after that.
> If I manually configure the scanner in scannerdrake, that does not work
> out either.

This sounds like a problem with the hardware or perhaps with the Linux
SCSI system. I don't know how scannerdrake works, so I can't comment on
it, but I assume that it simply tries to load drivers for detected SCSI
adapters and then looks, which SCSI devices are connected to an adapter.

/var/log/messages should contain error messages produced by modprobe or
insmod (one of them are probably called by scannerdrake).

Moreover, you could try to load the driver for the adapter manually
(modprobe <module_name>, e.g. modprobe aic7xxx) and see, what is written
to /var/log/messages.

And as a simple check, make sure that the SCSI cabling is correct: no
bent pins in the connectors, for example.

Abel